Options

Backup Publication information?

BVANBVAN Posts: 3
edited August 1, 2008 10:25AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We are replacing some of our SQL boxes with entirely new servers. We have backups of all the databases done with full and log ships.

We are running SQL Server 2000 and Redgate SQL Backup 5.3.0.178

A problem was posed to me from a couple of our developers that we have very unique information in the publications that allow our users with handhelds to connect.

Is there a way that I can transfer the publication info from Server A to Server B?

If I cannot find a way to do this, each handheld user (500 of them) will need to download an entirely new database, then taxing the performance of my new SQL box that is supposed to be fixing my bottleneck issues.

If this isnt making enough sense, I apologize. I am very new to SQL and SQL Backup.

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

Sorry for the delay in replying back to you.

With regards to the transfer of your publication info. If this information is in a database? Then you can use SQL Backup to backup the database and restore onto the new server.

Otherwise I need further details on the publications information you are looking to transfer?

At this time we do not have an application that supports handheld devices.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Further information from my developer....

A publication to a replicated database is at the server level this does not re-store with a backup. You have to script out the publication and run it against the new server. When you do this it initializes all client databases and all of our users must delete their database and get a new one.
    There may be a way around for this but I do not know if there is.

It appears that I will not be able to use SQLBackup to do this.
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    How would you perform the restore using regular SQL Server backups to preserve your publication information? Is it by using the KEEP_REPLICATION option? If so, you can do the same in SQL Backup.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8