SQL Backup and Restore problem

Eddy!Eddy! Posts: 17
edited June 24, 2008 2:48AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have log shipping set up between two servers, this has been working ok for months but recently a restore job is continuously running on the secondary server.
This is happening when we run an overnight process on the primary server and it is busy, it also generates quite a large transaction log (3Gb compressed)
The backup starts at 19:35 and takes 2 mins to complete. This always has the following errors/warnings Warning 300: Backup failed. Retry attempt: 1. VDI error 1010: Failed to get configuration from server but the tran log backup is created.
The restore job @ 19:40 on the secondary server has warning 220: No log files found to be restored. This is fair enough as the file is still being copied at this time but.....
The next restore job @ 20:10 reports successful but this is the one that is still running in the morning when I get into work.

I upgraded the components on the secondary server to version 5.3.0.178 from 5.2.0.2824 not long ago and I think this problem has started since then.
Therefore, I have tried upgrading the components on the primary server but when doing so it fails. It informs me that the SQBServerSetup.exe has copied ok, runs setup ok, starts SQL Backup Service but then fails on Check Installed Versions reporting the extended stored procedure DLL version 5.2.0.2824, and 5.3.0.178 was expected.
I don't know if it is worth continuing attempting to upgrade the primary server or try and roll back the secondary server to version 5.2 as this problem didn't seem happen when it was on the previous version.
Any thoughts?

thanks in advance

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you please send an e-mail to support@red-gate.com, and attach the following:

- the SQL Backup log file for the backup that started at 19:35. By default, the log files are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name>.

- the SQL Backup log file for the restore job that started at 19:40, and also 20:10 (if there's one).

- a SQL Backup Agent log file for the secondary server. You can do this by first ensuring that no SQL Backup processes are running, then run the following:
    EXEC master..sqbutility 9997

This generates a log file named SQBCoreService_bugreport.txt in the folder where the SQL Backup Agent file (SQBCoreService.exe) is installed. If no file is generated, please ensure that the SQL Backup Agent service startup user has rights to create files in that folder.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8