Can I backup a database while its being updated

kevinr188kevinr188 Posts: 2
edited June 9, 2008 8:36PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Can I periodicall backup a database while users are doing updates and inserts ? say every 30 minutes.
and if so will the backup simply restore without any special procedures ?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Yes, you can backup while users are actively using the database, and restore without any special procedures.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Would you be kind enough to point out where this procedure exists in the help files. I have a database (QASQL1) that gets synched every 4 mins with our website database and continuously by staff until 5.00 PM.

If this is possible i would love you guys forever...don't panic this could be the end paranoia. If this is possible i'll buy another copy for the second server.

Thank you
    Life is plain and simple
    Could you please explain which procedure you are referring to?

Also, re-reading my reply, I may have given impression that the database can be restored while it is actively being used. No, this is not possible. It can be backed up even while in use, but a restore requires that the database is not in use. There are exceptions to this in SQL Server 2005, where you can bring filegroups online one at a time.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • The procedure i'm referring to is backing up whilst being used. I know that it can't be restored whilst being used.

Are there any implications with this?

Thank you
    Life is plain and simple
    It's an inherent feature of SQL Server that you can take backups while the database is in use. Or do you mean something else?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software