Options

SQL Backup accessing file on different domain.

cjeremy74cjeremy74 Posts: 14
edited May 2, 2008 9:08AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am trying to set up jobs to restore logs from a nas server on a different domain. I have a plan B to step a batch job that will map a drive (logging on with different credentials), but I was hoping that there was a way within SQL Backup to do this.

Thanks - Jeremy.
Thanks - JC

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

SQL Backup does not support mapped drives.

If you use to use SQL Backup to restore files across the network, you must set up a Network Shared folder on the nas server and place the file or files you wish to restore into the network share.

The account given to the SQL Backup Agent on the SQL server you are restoring too, requires permissions to the network share to read the log file backups.

Please take a look at this document:
    http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Ba ... kShare.pdf

Although the document is for backing up to a network share, the security requirements are exactly the same for restoring from a network share.

Hope this helps.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Product Support Engineer
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    E-Mail: support@red-gate.com
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the link... I will go through this in detail, but it looks like I will have to go to plan c which will be using a batch script to go out to the other domain (it's a colocated domain that crosses the firewall) and copy the files over. I think that this will work reasonably well.

Thanks - Jeremy.
    Thanks - JC