Options

Launch a comparison project in UI from Comand Line

YongerYonger Posts: 3
I searched the forums and help but could not find an answer to this. I'm trying to simplify the process of generating our SQL scripts but still want to make sure that change scripts are verified. What I need is to be able to open a comparison project in the UI directory from the command line. When I try "RedGate.SQLCompare.UI.exe /?" or "RedGate.SQLCompare.UI.exe <path to project>" it just opens the UI to the pick project list.
I know that I can use SQLCompare.exe from command line to do the comparisons and that works great for creating blank database scripts but for change scripts I want to have the full UI brought up so changes can be verified and modified if needed before change scripts are generated. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    I've just confirmed that this doesn't work in SQL Compare.

If you can give me a bit more detail about why you're trying to do this, I'll raise it as a feature request, and hopefully we'll get this working in a later release. Can I ask why you need to load a SQL Compare UI with the project supplied as a parameter from the command line? Would you want SQL Compare to open in the project configuration dialog, or do you want it to run a comparison as well?

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    We'd like to do this just to save a little bit of time. We currently have a manual process for releasing a new version of our software...

1) Create a snap shot of the database as it is now
    2) Create a SQL script to create the database as is in a blank database for new installs
    3) Then create a SQL script to upgrade a database in the pervious version
    to the database as it is now based on the snap shot created for the last
    version

I've been tasked with creating something to simplify this process. The first two I can do easily based on the examples using SQLCompare.exe. The third item though may need human interaction. We're woried that there may need to be some data migration done on an upgrade script so we want to make sure that these scripts will always be verrified. Seems that the best solution would be to do the first two steps automatically then create a project and then open the SQL Compare UI right to the project. That way we can just hit a button..have the first two steps happen.. have the UI come up...make any changes needed by hand..then hit the button to create the upgrade script. If not possible to have it open directly to the project I will just have it open the UI and direct people to open the correct project.
  • Options
    For your reference, this has been raised internally as an enhancement request under SC-3833.

If anyone else would like to launch the SQL Compare UI with a specified project, please let me know.

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software