Options

CPU Usage when Compressing Backups

ChrisAVWoodChrisAVWood Posts: 361
edited April 3, 2008 6:01PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
SQLBackup 5.2 is a heavy user of CPU when creating a compressed backup. Is 5.3 better than 5.2? Are there any parameters that rediuce the CPU usage when compression is set to 2 or 3?

Is it possible that SQLBackup could not compress files automatically when a file is less than a certain size? In our case this would be the transaction log backups.

Thanks

Chris
English DBA living in CANADA

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    There is no measurable difference in CPU utilization for compression levels 2 and 3, between version 5.2 and 5.3. One option to reduce the impact on other applications is to use the THREADPRIORITY option.

As regards the option to skip the compression on files below a certain size, it's a suggestion we will look into. Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Petey,

What is the THREADPRIORITY default value? I created the backup jobs using the GUI so I had not entered any THREADPRIORITY value.

Thanks

Chris
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Default is 'normal' priority. See the help file or this page for details.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Thanks Petey.

I am running some test with THREADCOUNT of greater than 1, we have servers with multiple CPU's and THREADPRIORITY = 1 to reduce the need for wanted CPU. This is working well on a lightly used server.

Thanks

Chris