Options

How do I move the data.sdf file

John CampbellJohn Campbell Posts: 3
edited March 17, 2008 11:11AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We are about to take down the drive that the data.sdf file is on. How do I move this file to another location, or, should I just reinstall again and not worry about it?
Thanks guys,
John Campbell

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The data.sdf file contains the history of backup and restore processes carried out by SQL Backup. It is used by the GUI to provide additional SQL Backup-specific information re backup files.

If you are using SQL Backup versions 5.2 and below, the data.sdf will need to be in the All Users application data folder e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\<instance name>.

If you are using version 5.3 and above, you can change the data of the registry value DataPath in HKLM\Software\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<instance name> to point to the path where data.sdf is stored, which need not be the All Users application data folder.

If you want to move this file, stop the SQL Backup Agent service first, and ensure that you do not have any other SQL Backup processes running using the command line interface.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. That worked flawlessly.
    John Campbell