Options

kill Logshipping Job

vad2319vad2319 Posts: 40
Is there a way to kill Logshipping job?

I am trying to setup logshipping for a 60 GB sql server 2000 database. The problem that I am facing is that the "source server" tries to create an initial backup and processes 22.7 GB(out of 60 GB) & then the Job hangs...as if its continuing to process. Even the initial backup & restore do not complete.

BTW, I tried to create a backup of the same database using the "backup utility" & it worked fine. I can only conclude that backup & restore dont function as they should during Logshipping.

From 7 hrs, the initial backup continues to be at 22.7 GB(out of 60 GB).

Please advise why would this be happening? is it normal for Logshipping to take this long?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    You can stop the SQL Backup Agent service to stop all active SQL Backup processes.

I would suggest to first try making a full database backup using the Backup Wizard, and see if that completes.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Hello,

I made the complete backup of one 60 GB database which got compressed to 5 GB using the backup utility of SQLBackup.

then I manually copied the 5 GB "FULL_(local)_DBName_20080301_213332.sqb" file to the remote SQL Server from windows explorer. It took 15 hours to copy the complete 5 GB file because the upload\download bandwidth is 1.5 MB.

I then used the "restore functionality of SQLBackup" to restore "FULL_(local)_dbname_20080301_213332.sqb" file to the remote sql server & it worked great.

Now the real problem

Now that we know that the backup & restore functionality works individually. but when I try to setup logshipping in SQLBackup, Only 22.7 GB(out of 60GB) is processed & then I dont see the job progressing ahead. It just stays there at 22.7 GB. Ideally it should process the whole 60 GB of data.

Please advise how can I find out whats going wrong?

BTW, the logshipping jobs for smaller size databases do work well as intended. Its only this particular database of 60 GB that doesnt work.

your help will be much appreciated.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you please run sp_spaceused and check if the total of data and index sizes amount to ~22.7 GB?

If so, that would mean that SQL Backup has completed the backup process, and is now copying the file over to the remote server, which would take ~15 hours.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    you are the man! Thanks Peter! Yes it had finished backing up the data.