5.2 - how to specify file paths?

randyvrandyv Posts: 166
edited February 21, 2008 12:19PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I upgraded to 5.2 (latest). I then tried to build a new backup. When I got to the screen where I specify the location of the backup file, I get a message saying browsing is prohibited. Then a message to look for 'specifying file paths' in online help.

I opened OLH and typed the phrase into the index - there is no entry for either 'specifying file paths' or 'file paths'.

How do I tweak the new version of backup to allow me, the system administrator, to decided where files should be backed up?

Thanks.
What we do in life echoes in eternity <><
Randy Volters

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Than you for your post.

I suspect that you are using SQL Authentication.

If you are using SQL Server authentication on a SQL Server, for security reasons browsing to folders or files on the SQL Server is disabled by default. This is to prevent information about the file system structure being revealed to SQL Authenticated users who do not have permissions to browse the file system on the SQL Server.

You can override this restriction. However, you should do this only after careful consideration.

To enable file browsing by SQL Server users, in the registry folder:

32-bit machines: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<instance name>

64-bit machines: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<instance name>

Create the registry key AllowSQLBrowsing as type DWORD, and set the value to 1. You must have administrator privileges to do this.

Hope this helps.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Technical Support Engineer
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    E-Mail: support@red-gate.com
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Thanks.

This makes sense; but our installation of SQL Backup rests directly on the SQL Server. The only people that are allowed login access to the server already have file browsing ability through explorer - so the risk is nill for our installation.

Otherwise, I'd leave it the way it is configured.

Thanks for the info.
    What we do in life echoes in eternity <><
    Randy Volters