Future Versions

MikeONeillMikeONeill Posts: 131
edited February 1, 2008 5:46AM in SQL Refactor Previous Versions
Hi

My support license runs out in a few weeks and I need to decide wether to renew it .

Don't get me wrong , I think SQL Reafctor is a superb tool, but I don't see much movement on improvements and new versions .

Compared to SQLPrompt say we have had 4 versions each with improved funtionality whereas in SQLRefactor we had one release and a "bug Fix" 1.1

I read on one of the forums this week that "There is no current develpment on SQL Refactor", equally some months back I saw a call for functionalty ideas and a flood of good ideas specifcally around refactoring styles

I for one would like to see it operate in the Visual Studio IDE , which is where I work most, and I am sure there are user out there with equal desires.

What is the future for SQL Refactor , can someone persuade me to spend the $79 (however little this may be for a super product) to get another years support ? and will I see a new version for that support in its year tenure.

Once again please don't get me wrong , I am a great fan of Red Gate and have been using SQLPrompt a SQLRefactor since their original releases and in beta too, I just need some reassurance of progress.

Cheers
Mike

Comments

• Hi

Is anyone going to grace us with a repsonse ???????

Mike
  • Hi Mike,

First of all, apologies for not getting back to you. We don't get have a definitive feature roadmap for SQL Refactor as yet. What we intend to do to our entire toolset is to include support for SQL Server 2008. Beyond that, it's still a bit hazy, so please bear with us!

Can I ask what specific feature you would like to see support for in Visual Studio? Is it the Layout feature?

I'd like to assure you that feedback such as yours definitely make a difference when it comes to prioritising bug fixes and feature requests for upcoming versions.

Thanks,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Yes , I work a lot in VS 2005 , and only move to MSSMS for big stuff

So refactoring in VS 2005 would be my ideal , the other features of SQLRefactor are really SQL stuff as opposed to coding stuff

I see from the thoughts on SQL Prompt that this will inlcude Layout in V4 , I assume also compatible with VS 2005 / 8

The Layout option fits nicely with a developer tool as opposed to a DBA tool

Cheers

Mike
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your suggestions regarding SQL Refactor and VS 2005/8.

I have submitted your suggestions as a Feature Request. Hopefully the request will obtain approval and appear in a future version of SQL Refactor.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Technical Support Engineer
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com