Options

Can I do a differed verification of my backups?

wdwd Posts: 25
edited January 14, 2008 3:28AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi there,

I have installed a test version of SQLBackup and got the jobs running nicely.

I have noticed that if the backups are large, the verification can take up to 4 times longer than the actual backup creation itself.

The main problem with this is that I have to backup 5 databases within the maintenance window. If I verify each backup, then the first database is backed up and the verification then takes up the remaining maintenance window.

I would like to know if it is possible to do a differed verification of my backups, so that the process of backup creation is done within the maintenance window and the verificaion of all backups is done at the end.

If this is not possilbe, is there a way of separating these steps or getting the backup step to start DB 2 whilst DB 1 is being verified?

Many thanks

wd

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    You can perform a verification anytime, just like what you would do with native backups. The only difference is that you need to use the sqlbackup extended stored procedure e.g.
    EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "RESTORE VERIFYONLY FROM DISK = [f:\backups\pubs.sqb]" '

Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Hi Peter,

I am guessing that the job you described also provides email messaging for errors and so on, right?

regards

wd
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    No, the SQL Backup syntax for RESTORE VERIFYONLY does not support notification via email.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8