Add Extended properties Directly From SqlDoc

HLEBOEUFHLEBOEUF Posts: 18
edited June 20, 2008 10:04AM in SQL Doc Previous Versions
Is there a way on entering Directly Extende Propertires from SqlDoc, if not that would be usefull.
I've seen some questions on the forum that asked for specifying parameters on functions and procedures. Yoy can add extended properties directly from SqlMgtStudio. SqlDoc displays them nicelly.
But wouldn't it be great that we could add them directly ....

Comments

• Yes, you can do this. Add extended properties by clicking on the appropriate "pen and paper" icon in the Preview pane. This brings up a text box in which you can type your comment.

Let me know if you have trouble finding this.

Regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • As fas ar i see i can only edit one Extended property MS_Description.
    In this case, for functions and procedures it would be usefull if we could add or own. Param1 till Paramx for example.
  • Yes, we only do the one. I will put in a feature request for custom extended properties to be added. The more user requests we get, the more likely it is to be considered.

Thanks!

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I alsorequest support for custom extended properties.

The ability to add additional named extended properties can be very valuable, not only in defining structured documentation, but also as tools for change management to control what gets deployed to various environments.

And for a tie-in to another great RedGate tool, SQLCompare Pro could even be enhanced to use extended properties for automatically filtering what gets scripted -- i.e., include only objects where "Include_In_Build" = "True" or exclude objects where "Exclude_From_Build" = "False".
  • Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding your idea to use extended properties as a flag to exclude objects from a SQL Compare synch script, I'm not so sure this would be the right place. It's more likely that we'll extend the SQL Compare project concept to allow objects to be more easily excluded from a comparison. Is this something that would work for you too?

Currently you can uncheck certain objects in SQL Compare after the comparison. These selections should be saved with the project, meaning they won't be scripted when the project is run again, although they still appear in the comparison results screen.

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software