Transactionlog overwriting too early?

Janus007Janus007 Posts: 4
edited November 28, 2007 4:54AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello

Before I download SQL Backup v5 I 've a very urgent question :D

If the full backup fails and the transactional backup succeeds, will the transactional backup then overwrite itself after the specified days or will SQL Backup v5 overrule the retention period and thereby keep my last succeeded full backup in sync with the transactional backup?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup does not have any option that allows it to overwrite itself after a set number of days. It does have an option to erase old backup files that are older than a specified number of days. In this case, SQL Backup does not check the completeness of the log restore chain prior to deleting the old files.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Okay I see.. But IMHO that isn't very failsafe. It could actually turn a restore into a hell :( Put in another word impossible!!

Is there anything in the future planning where you're going to support this necessity? :roll:
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    That is not a feature we plan to add.

We designed SQL Backup based on what best practices dictate, which is to keep at least 2 copies of all backups, on-site and off-site. Also, we assume that users would take notice of errors. If users want to be pro-actively alerted of errors, the email notification options (MAILTO/MAILTO_ONERROR) can be used for just that purpose.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Thanks for answer... :?