Source Control Comparison

warthenrwarthenr Posts: 19
edited October 25, 2007 9:43AM in Scream
I think this tool is a lot of what I am looking for. If it could just point to a Source control system and check files in and out as part of it's "sync", it would be perfect.

It would also be helpful if it could sync up with the database scripts instead of with snapshots and/or with live databases. This tool ultimately should be integrated with SQL Compare and/or the multi-server tool.

Comments

• SQL Compare 6 Pro can already synch to a scripts folder. The only bit missing is the auto-checkout feature.

SQL Compare 6.2 Pro, which is out soon, will have auto-checkout source control integration. For this initial release we will be supporting VSS and TFS. Which source control system do you use?

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I use Source Safe currently, but planning on adding either AccuRev or SubVersion. However, ultimately what I need is a capability to keep history of changes to servers (some of them remote) and to be able to see where servers are out of sync. Knowing the history of a server and keeping them in sync ultimately seem to be the end goal of a lot of the requests I've seen in the forums (in the VERY short time I've been here). You may be interested in partnering with a company to resell the tool that can show the changes, branches and merging of the various objects. :twisted: Boy now THAT would be the ultimate.

But to come back to earth, having Source Safe Integration would be very helpful. :D I'm looking forward to this release.
  • If you use a source control system that uses Edit-Merge-Commit such as Subversion, you won't need source control integration because you simply let SQL Compare 6 Pro synch to your working folder, and then invoke the changeset of your source control client to commit. This will deal with any necessary merges, which will only be an issue if someone else has modified the same objects.

I'm curious to know what you mean when you ask for changes, branches and merging. Surely this is dealt with by the source control tool. Don't forget, when using a scripts folder, all your objects are simply .sql text files which are treated in the same way as any other files in your source control system.

SQL Compare 6 Pro is simply a tool that lets you treat a scripts folder in the same way as you would treat a real live database. You can synch from a scripts folder to a live database as well as synch from a live database to a scripts folder. You can even synch from a scripts folder to a scripts folder.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • SQL Changeset has now been released as part of SQL Compare 6.2 Pro.
    This provides integration between SQL Compare and source control when synching from a live database to a source-controlled scripts folder. The supported source control systems are VSS and TFS, although other SCCI-compliant systems should also work.

Check for Updates from SQL Compare should provide you with a link to the upgrade. Please post your feedback to the forum

Thanks,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software