ERROR 660

fhtapiafhtapia Posts: 14 Bronze 2
edited August 24, 2009 1:13AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am getting the following error on a Windows 2003 server w/ Sql Server 2000 SP4, I have successfully installed the server components on other W2003 Sql 2000sp4 servers, why is thisone any diffrent?

If I try to manually start the Sql Backup Agent I get the following error:
Windows could not start the SQL Backup Agent on Local computer. For more information, review the system event log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 660.

any thoughts?

Error in sql backup:
Error: Failed to contact service application. Please ensure that the SQL Backup Agent service startup user name and password are valid, and that the service has been started on the server.

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2039 (Intel X86)
May 3 2005 23:18:38
Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation
Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

Product level : SP4
Language : English (United States)
Collation : SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
Platform : NT INTEL X86
Processor count : 4
Processor mask : 0000000f
Physical memory : 3839 MB
Time zone : GMT-08:00

I tried the suggestion over in the sticky but when I try to set the sa login I get the following error, even tho the sa and pwd are set correctly

ERRSQB: 5150 (Failed to start SQB service.) (): 1069 (The service did not start due to a logon failure.)
ERRSQB: 5150 (Error opening mutex.) (Global\SQBMutex_): 2 (The system cannot find the file specified.)

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The error code indicates that the SQL Server COM backup interface is not registered.

Do a search in the registry for the following key:

{40700425-0080-11d2-851f-00c04fc21759}

in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

If it is missing, you would need to register the COM library manually. To do so, open a command line window, locate the sqlvdi.dll file (usually found in <system drive>\Microsoft SQL Server\COM), and run the following

regsvr32 sqlvdi.dll

One reason how the library could get unregistered is when you install a version of SQL Server (perhaps for testing) and later uninstall it.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hello.

We're seeing the following error in our logs when we try to run SQL Backup:

SQL Backup v4.6.0.815
    ERRSQB: 5150 (Error opening mutex.) (Global\SQBMutex_): 5 (Access is denied.)

We're running the following command:

exec master..sqlbackup '-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [ManageRpts] TO DISK = ''\\cifs1psb\sql_files\PLATEAUsrv\ManageRpts\ManageRpts_DB_200704130000.bak ''WITH COMPRESSION = 3 "'

I searched in the registry for the key mentioned above, and the key is there and looks correct.

Any ideas? Let me know if you need more information.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    This error can happen if you change the SQL Server service startup user. You will need to restart the SQL Backup service in order for SQL Backup to grant rights to the new SQL Server service user to acccess SQL Backup objects.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • I have the same error:

ERRSQB: 5150 (Error opening mutex.) (Global\SQBMutex_): 5 (Access is denied.)

This happened right after we changed the logon username that sql server runs under as well as the SQL Backup Agent. I've restarted the agent multiple times. I've even removed all of SQL Backup including the Server Components and reinstalled it with the new logon and I still get the same error.

Any ideas?
  • I found the solution to my problem. When getting this error, and restarting SQL Backup service doesn't work. You must restart SQL Server first, then SQL Backup.

This is what fixed it for me. :D
  • After adding the domain user to the sysadmin role, this is what fixed my problem, too.
    vicjalan wrote:
    I found the solution to my problem. When getting this error, and restarting SQL Backup service doesn't work. You must restart SQL Server first, then SQL Backup.

This is what fixed it for me. :D