Options

SQLBackup Restore I-O Error

wpawpa Posts: 8
edited November 10, 2006 5:06AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I'm getting the following error when trying to restore a multi-sqb backup set:

Restoring database naxosdb_test from "F:\backupdbtest\naxosdb_01.sqb"

Msg 3203, Level 16, State 1, Server NAXOSSQL01, Line 1
Read on 'SQLBACKUP_243207805' failed, status = 995. See the SQL Server error log for more details.
Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Server NAXOSSQL01, Line 1
RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

There are ten sqb files: naxosdb_01.sqb - naxosdb_10.sqb

I restored on a different server using the exact same sqb files. I even physically connected the usb disk containing the files to the new server as I thought the error was because I was restoring across the network.
But I got the same error.

The SQL error log just says: Backupmedium::ReportIOError:Read failure on backup device 'SQLBACKUP_75296381'.

Any ideas?[/b]

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    What happens when you run RESTORE HEADERONLY ... from each of the ten files e.g.

sqlbackup '-sql "RESTORE HEADERONLY FROM DISK = [F:\backupdbtest\naxosdb_01.sqb]" '

sqlbackup '-sql "RESTORE HEADERONLY FROM DISK = [F:\backupdbtest\naxosdb_02.sqb]" '

Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Hi Peter - thanks for replying.

I get Error 530: File does not exist: F:\backupdbtest\naxosdb_01.sqb
    when I try the HEADERONLY option.

The disk I'm using for the .sqb files is a cheap USB 400gb one formatted as FAT32. (samsung HD400LD). It is unable to handle large files (eg 15gb) as I cannot copy such files to it. I guess this is a FAT32 limit.

However, my sqb files are 2gb each and have already been used to restore successfully on a different server yesterday.
    The 'good' server is Win Server 2000 SP3
    The 'bad' server is Win Server 2003 SP1

I'm thinking of formatting the disk as NTFS and starting again.
    What do you think?
  • Options
    Can SQL Backup work with the drive at all? If you were to create a backup file to that disk (using SQL Server and SQL Backup), does it work?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Options
    Yes - I've just done a Redgate backup of a 9gb database to the disk. Then deleted the database and restored from the .sqb file on the disk.
    All OK.

I've just checked and the sqlbackupC.exe version are different on the backup server to that on the restore server.

Version 4 on backup server. Version 3.2 on restore server.

So, is it not backwards compatible?
  • Options
    Yes, it is backwards compatible, in that version 4 can restore version 3 backups. What you are doing is the opposite of this, which isn't supported.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Options
    Yes I see.
    I have upgraded to v4.6 and re-activated and it's now working.
    Thanks for your help. :D