Options

Disabling - Log shipping

myronmyron Posts: 2
edited August 25, 2006 4:21AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I am new to Red-Gate's SQL Back up and I would like to ask where do I temporarily disable log shipping.. do I disable it on Red-Gate software or disable it on the SQL Server itself?

I need to temporarily disable it because I will be powering down the other machine that would be receiving the log shipping files.

Thanks in advance
Forever Newbie

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Log shipping in SQL Backup is implemented using a pair of SQL Server Agent jobs, one on the primary server to perform the backups, and another on the standby server to perform the restores.

To answer your question, it depends on what you want to do with regards to the backups.

-> If you want to backups to continue, just let the backup job run as usual. You might need to change the COPYTO option, if you were previously copying to the standby server. When the standby server is back online, then copy all the transaction log backups that have been created, to the standby server. The restore job will apply these backups when it next runs.

-> If you want to stop the backups, you need to disable the backup job on the primary server. By default, the job has the name 'Log shipping: backup [database name]
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8