SQBCoreService.exe/SQL Backup agent fails to start

pmosspmoss Posts: 3
edited August 25, 2006 10:41AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
The sql backup server service will not start on one of our servers even after trying the following:

Rebooting
installing older versions
installing the latest version 4.6
using system accounts
using other administrator equivalent accounts
using sql accounts vs windows authenticated accounts

The only error message I get from sql backup is;
"Error: Failed to contact service application. Please ensure that the SQL Backup Agent service startup user name and password are valid, and that the service has been started on the server"

There are two sql 2000 instances on this 2003 server.

Please help.

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    What is the error message that is reported by Windows when the service fails to start? What is the error message recorded in the Event Log?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Redgate development did work with me on this issue and the resolution was very simple (of course getting there is a different story).

SQBCoreService service could not start because the syntax to start the service was not correct. This server had a named instance of sql. There must be a -I nameofinstance specified in the path to the executable.

Example
    C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\SQLPROD7\SQBCoreService.exe -i instancenamehere

Once this was added the service started with no issue. For some reason an uninstall of redgate and reinstall did not fix the path issue.