Options

SQL Backup - Product Activation error

Keith_WaltonKeith_Walton Posts: 24
edited July 29, 2006 12:33AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
When I try to activate over the Internet:

"The activation request was not in the correct format. [The root element is missing.]"

When I try to activate by e-mail, the box that is supposed to contain the text I should e-mail is empty.

I'm using version 4.5.0.704
Keith Walton
Chief Software Architect
NHXS

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you pls try this:

- Copy ProductActivation.exe (from the SQL Backup folder) to your server.
    - Start it. Register your serial number.
    - Stop and restart the SQL Backup service.

Is the product displayed as registered in the SQL Backup GUI?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Hi Keith,

It is also worth making sure the backup service is running.

This error is often assosciated with the service being unable to start - this can be caused by an incorrect user password being set during the installation of the server components.

Try going to control panel -> administrative tools -> services then finding the SQL Backup Agent and make sure its running, if it is not then right click go to properties and click on the LogOn tab then delete the current password fields and reenter the users password then make sure the service starts and activation requests should begin to work again.
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    I had to update my service account login, and copy the ProductActivation.exe file to get it to work.

Thanks
    Keith Walton
    Chief Software Architect
    NHXS
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

Had the same error this morning when trying to license a trial that expired.

Was not service related, copying the activation .exe to the server sorted the problem out.

Thanks
    Russ