Options

Restore from extended sp not working

warrenwarren Posts: 3
edited July 25, 2006 7:22AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
When trying to restore databases using the xsproc, on some of our servers we are finding that nothing happens, i.e. the process just runs and runs for as long as you let it with no disk i/o. I am having to go in and kill the processes individually to get rid of them. It won't even recover the filelist only - this gives the some symptoms.

I know the command is correct as it works verbatim on other servers. I have checked that the backup agent service is running. I know there is nothing wrong with the backup file as I can restore it fine using the GUI.

Where do I go from here?

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    On the server where the restore fails:

- what is the version of the extended stored procedure that you are using (run just 'sqlbackup', what is the version displayed on the column header)

- what is the version of the SQL Backup service application (SQBCoreService.exe)

- what version of SQL Server are you using (2000 SP3, SP4, 2005 SP1?), and is it 32-bit, 64-bit, Itanium?

- which version of SQL Backup was the backup file created with

- can you provide a sample of the restore command that you are using

The GUI uses the same extended stored procedure to restore the files, hence you should be able to restore the files if you use the same commands.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    petey wrote:
    The GUI uses the same extended stored procedure to restore the files, hence you should be able to restore the files if you use the same commands.

I thought it might. Confirmation of this led me to review the code that had been written by our departing dba. It transpires that the backup procs on some servers used encryption and some didn't, and likewise for the restore procs. Thankyou SQL Compare (another fine product).

Thanks for the help.