4.1.0.207 Restroing Logs created in 4.2.511

Jeff RandallJeff Randall Posts: 41
edited June 15, 2006 9:17PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have tested this new version 4.2.511 importing log files created from an older version (4.1.0.207). This seems to be working just fine in production.

I have also been able to import into an older version (4.1.0.207) that were generated by 4.2.511.

Currently the server running 4.1.0.207 successfully restores the log files sometimes then goes into streatches of "hanging".

For instance two days ago it ran just fine from 3:30 PM - 10: PM
At 10: PM I have Log Shipping stop so I can run the nightly backups.
At midnight when log shipping was supposed to kick back in the restore began hanging.
It did not fail, but it did not process any records either, it just kept running for over 7 hours before I canceled the job...
I tried to re-run it and it ran for over 20 hours without dying, finishing, or processing any records...

I know that the "solution" is going ot be to tell me to upgrade the 4.1 to 4.2, but that is not currently an option, so I need to find some other way for this to work reliably...

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Is it because the extended stored procedure DLL cannot be released, and you don't want to have to bounce the SQL Server service?

If so, could you pls try this:

Copy the 4.2 extended stored procedure file (xp_sqlbackup.dll) from one of your servers, rename it (e.g. xp_sqlbackup_42.dll), and place it in this server's SQL Server Binn folder.

On the server, drop the sqlbackup extended stored procedure:

sp_dropextendedproc sqlbackup

Add the sqlbackup extended stored procedure, but using the renamed DLL e.g.

sp_addextendedproc sqlbackup, 'xp_sqlbackup_42.dll'

Run just the sqlbackup procedure e.g.

EXEC master..sqlbackup

Is the version number 4.2? If so, try running the restore and see if it now works.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Yes this is the reason for not wanting to upgrade right now...
    I will try this during the next maintenance window (Sunday), but do you have any ideas in the meantime?

It seems ot be working just fine one one of the DBs (very small DB and small number of transaction) but is currently failing on the larger db (with vastly more transaction)...

I am currently reseading the large DB and going to try to it again to see if I can get it up and running again, but if this doesn't work, I don't want to go another 72 hours without log shipping.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The idea is to redirect the sqlbackup extended stored procedure to the 4.2 DLL (renamed), if you can't replace the 4.1 DLL now.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8