Failed to load package version numbers from package feed as

rjayakumarrjayakumar Posts: 34
edited August 22, 2014 5:32AM in Deployment Manager
We are frequently welcomed by the following message, every time we try to create a new release or at times click on the project name and is becoming a bottle neck.

The message is - Failed to load package version numbers from package feed as package feed request timed out. This may be because the package feed contains too many packages, or packages that are over a certain size, typically 100MB. Learn more.

We have verified the feed directory and backed it up and removed the contents but still the error persists.

None of the packages are beyond 100 MB, yes there will be several packages as we are in weekly release mode.

Do let me know if any further information is required.
________
Cheers,
Raghunandan

Comments

• Assuming you're using the DM built-in feed, this documentation page tells you how to deal with timeout problems.

Also, given your other problem with RavenDB timeouts, it sounds like the server you're running Deployment Manager on might be low on resources. Can you monitor the CPU and memory usage on that server for a while and see if it is looking overloaded?
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • Mike,
    Many thanks for sharing the link - but I have referred the same already and also since beginning we do have a separate package feed.

What should be the maximum number of NuGet packages?
    What is the maximum size per package is supported?

Meanwhile I have requested the IT Admin to monitor the server and update, so that the same can be shared with you.

Please advise further.
    ________
    Cheers,
    Raghunandan
  • If you're already using a separate package feed, then I'm afraid that you'll have to ask the providers of that feed about any limitations on the number or size of packages.
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • Mike,
    Its an internal feed and as far as I know no limitations set.
    ________
    Cheers,
    Raghunandan
  • I was referring to the vendors of whichever NuGet feed you are running internally. Note that if you're just using the standard NuGet.Server open-source package, then that is the same as the Deployment Manager internal feed, and has the same restrictions.
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • Yes we have configured NuGet.Server - open source.

the fun is, if throws up this error and some times the next immediate page refresh would load all the drop down lists with package versions.

Any tips from your side to have the same fixed. :D
    ________
    Cheers,
    Raghunandan
  • It could be that the IIS worker is going into idle time-out, so the first request after that takes a long time to start up. You can go into IIS manager and reconfigure the application pool to have a different idle time-out, or even not to time-out at all.

IIS Manager->Application Pools->(whatever your NuGet.Server pool is called)->Advanced Settings...->Idle Time-out

Setting the value to zero will disable idle time-outs altogether.
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • thanks Mike.
    I have a small doubt on that.

Can you kindly check your email - I was unable to attach the screen shot.
    I have sent an email with
    1. Error
    2. After refresh
    3. No of items in drop down and their size.

That may help us in solving this.
    [/img]
    ________
    Cheers,
    Raghunandan
  • Thanks for the screenshots. They confirm what you originally said - the NuGet request times out on the first attempt, but then succeeds on refresh.

That means that the NuGet feed is not responding quickly to the first request, but then responds much faster to subsequent requests, which is a common symptom of an IIS idle time-out.

The warning message you see in the first attempt ("Failed to load package version numbers from package feed as package feed request timed out. This may be because the package feed contains too many packages, or packages that are over a certain size, typically 100MB.") is only an indication of possible causes, not an exhaustive list. Also, please note that the dropdown of package versions will only ever list the 20 most recent versions, no matter how many are found in the feed.
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • Many thanks Mike and the information on 20 most recent versions helps... as we thought DM is trying to parse through all off the available packages.

As you have hinted, I have marked the IIS idle time-out to 0.
    Let us see how the requests are handled and I shall update on this again.

Once again many thanks for your support.
    ________
    Cheers,
    Raghunandan