Tail Log backup?

dstoltzdstoltz Posts: 12
edited July 10, 2014 7:56AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
If I have Backup Pro set up (this is an example) to backup a database like this:

- Daily full backup with hourly transaction log backups

And a failure happens at 1:30pm, as I understand it, I would also need to do a "tail log" backup BEFORE restoring the full backup along with all the log backups...

Three Questions:
1) Is this true/correct?
2) And if so, does Backup Pro do this?
3) Does the tail log backup get the the data back from 1pm-1:30pm? (The time between the last transaction log backup and the failure?)

Thanks for any info....trying to improve my understanding of this...

Comments

• I think I answered a few of my questions...

Yes, it would seem the tail log backups up the data between the last trans backup and the failure...

It does NOT appear that Backup Pro can do a tail log backup per se, but a normal trans backup would accomplish the same thing.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your forum post.

You can perform a backup of transactions in the tail of the transaction log. When you run the Restore Wizard. At step 2 of the wizard, you have the choice to overwrite an existing database or create a new database. When you select the choice to overwrite an existing database you get a dialog that asks how you like to proceed:

Backup the transaction log before proceeding with the restore. This option is the tail backup.

Discard transactions in the tail of the transaction log (WITH REPLACE).

I hope the above answers your question.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Eddie - perfect, thank you - yes this answers my question.