Restore on a different server

MartinHMartinH Posts: 82 Bronze 2
edited April 5, 2006 12:58PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi:

I have done a (test) full backup on my local server, and want to restore the database to a different server, that does not contain this database yet.

I select the backup set from the original server (using step 1 of the restore wizard), when I get to step 3, I can't select a different server to restore to. The dropdown list of servers has just one entry, the original server where the backup was performed.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA,
MartinH.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Martin,

Keep in mind you'll need the Professional version of SQL Backup to have more servers appear in the dropdown, plus you'll need to have the server registered in the SQL Backup console as well.
  • MartinHMartinH Posts: 82 Bronze 2
    Hi Brian:
    Hi Martin,

Keep in mind you'll need the Professional version of SQL Backup to have more servers appear in the dropdown, plus you'll need to have the server registered in the SQL Backup console as well.

I have just purchased the Professional version and install the key as well as activating the product.

I have also done a 'Install/upgrade server components on the remote machine'. I had to use the 'Make necessary changes via sp_configue' option, but this seemed to work fine.

Unfortunately, still only one server appears in the list.

Regards,
    MartinH.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The list of displayed servers on step 3 is dependent on the location of the backup file.

If the backup file is located on server A, only instances on server A will be listed. This is because SQL Backup will not know how to access files on server A from other servers.

Assuming that the backup file is located on a network share on server A, select 'Browse to backup files' on step 1, select server B, and enter the path and name of the backup file manually.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Ah... good one!
  • MartinHMartinH Posts: 82 Bronze 2
    Yes, that was the trouble.

Obvious when you think about it :-)

Thanks very much,
    MartinH.