Credentials Dialog Reappears After Cancelling

ismeisme Posts: 119
Hey RG,

The source control credentials for one of my old development projects have expired.

Sometimes when I launch SSMS I see the "Source Control Credentials Required" dialog:

LMCtTkU.png
Your source control system requires credentials.

Enter the user name and password for the repository:

I don't want to update the credentials right now, but SQL Source Control is very persistent about it.

When I click Cancel, the dialog immediately reappears!

After clicking cancel about 10 times in a row, it finally stops asking.

If it must ask, can you make it ask only once?

My SQL Source Control version is 3.5.4.332.

Thanks,
Iain
Iain Elder, Skyscanner

Comments

• James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    Thanks for your post. I think SQL Source Control will be making several background requests, all of which result in the login prompt. We probably assumed most people would want it to work at that point, hence the slightly annoying behaviour!

Could you suggest the prompts get suppressed over on Uservoice? If it seems to be something that's bugging a fair few people then we'll of course look into changing it.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• This issue has been reported already on Uservoice: Simplify datalink source code repository migration.
    We ran into 4 issues:
    1) When opening SSMS for the first time, we were inundated by SQL Source Control to update our credentials.
    2) After hitting cancel 10 times, we were able to get to the Setup tab.

My new suggestion on Uservoice proposes a solution: Suppress credentials prompt when SSMS starts.
    Can you suppress the dialog on startup?

It would be better to ask only when it is really necessary, like when I want to sync the database with source control.

The change would be a small but significant usability improvement.

Thanks, James!
    Iain Elder, Skyscanner
  • James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    Thanks for adding that- no promises, but hopefully it's something we can do!
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software