SQL Monitor Hosted - missing "dbo" schema

TheLonelyDBATheLonelyDBA Posts: 21
Hello. While evaluating SQL Monitor Hosted, I received this error on the following page:

"Configuration > Monitored servers > Show Log (for a specific instance)"

Date: 17 Mar 2014 5:48 PM
Group: SQL
Event: #zX7
Outcome: Internal SQL Monitor Hosted error
Exception: SqlException
Exception message: The specified schema name "dbo" either does not exist or you do not have permission to use it.

But it does not tell me the affected database name, so I could fix it. Is this message related to some of my DBs or is it an error elsewhere in the Beta?

thanks,
Tips and thoughts on MS SQL, Oracle and MongoDB:
http://thelonelydba.wordpress.com

Comments

• Hi
    Can I check - were you able to resolve this error? I just had a look at your SQL Monitor Hosted and I don't see this error now although I notice you're still not up and running.
    If you'd like some further help getting things working, please feel free to contact the team directly on sqlmonitorhosted@red-gate.com (this email address is for the hosted product specifically).
    Thanks, Fiona
    Project Manager | Redgate Software
  • hi Fiona.

unfortunately I was not able to resolve this yet. I need to assing the minimum possible privilege to the acct that will collect the data, and could not test other options until now.

I believe this error happens when some databases are marked as "offline" on SQL Server. It would be nice to have a report on these, but this should not stop monitoring.

i will test it again and come back to you later.

thanks
  • So, back I am.

Unfortunately I was not able to duplicate the conditions that caused the first error ("missing dbo schema"), because I had to configure my SQLMonitor Hosted acct with a different server.

But I am still facing some errors that are preventing the monitoring, and in my understanding they should only generate alerts. This happens when I have a database marked as Read-Only (or a Snapshot) and the login used to collect the data is not given SA rights.

In this scenario, the monitor will try to connect to the unavailable database, fail, and stop monitoring. I believe it should only fail the connection and generate an alert, continuing monitoring the other databases.

"Configuration > Monitored servers > Show Log (for a specific instance)"
    Date: 5 May 2014 4:46 PM
    Group: SQL
    Event: #LVG
    Outcome: Incorrect credentials or insufficient permissions
    Exception: SqlException
    Exception message: The server principal "<my_login>" is not able to access the database "<my_snapshot>" under the current security context.

The only workaround I found was to mark the database as writable, create the monitoring login, and mark it as read-only again - or just drop the snapshot in this case.