Must "run as administrator" to see the tool in SSMS

d843nredd843nred Posts: 4
I'm a new employee in a fairly locked-down big corporate environment. I inherited the machine used by a departing employee and SQL Source Control was already installed. I'd had some issues with my 2 separate network logins getting access to some resources, but I believe that's all been resolved.

Short story: If I simply run SSMS, I don't see any SQL Source Control anywhere. If I start SSMS using "Run as administrator", I can select either account (BTW: Both accounts are on the same domain, and both accounts are admins on the box) and everything seems to work just fine.

I've deactivated the license, downloaded the latest (3.5, and I did have to put in my credentials to prove I was an admin during the install), and re-activated the license.

I realize this is probably not a SQL Source Control specific issue, but any help/pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Update: I just realized that I don't get consistent behavior:
Start - All Programs - SQL Server 2008 R2 - Management Studio: SQL Source Control is there.
Double-click the shortcut to SSMS on my desktop: SQL Source Control is there.
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Q (the hot-key for the desktop shortcut): SQL Source Control is NOT in SSMS.

Comments

• This isn't an issue we particularly see - so you're right, it's likely to be specific to your environment.

SSMS loads addins from this location:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SQL Server Management Studio\12.0\Addins

(the folder may be 11.0 if you have SSMS 2008 instead)- so the first thing I'd do is ensure your standard user account has full control to that location (as it's the shared programdata location, rather than the one in your profile).

Other things to check permissions on would be:

C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\Licenses
    (in the registry:) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Red Gate\Licensing

Both of these locations will have information written to that relates to the product activation.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software