Index differences between two databases

KKKK Posts: 2
edited December 10, 2015 11:12AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi,

Please let me know If there is an option to compare only indexes between two databases via SQL compare.

Thanks,
Kiran
Tagged:

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Kiran

Thank you for your forum post. Sadly the ability to compare indexes as a separate object within SQL Compare. Currently indexes are considered to be part of table objects within SQL Compare.

I have added the details of this Forum Post to an existing feature request whose reference is SC-2447. Hopefully this will appear in a future version of SQL Compare.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • sjeremiahsjeremiah Posts: 1 New member
    Is there any update to the ability to separate indexes from table definitions.

This may not seem like a big issue but when you are attempting to pull down indexes from an production environment to QA you do not want to worry about table definitions. It has been almost two years since this was "asked about" in this thread.
  • Hi,
    Is there any update on this post.
    I think this option was a available in previous versions of SQL compare.
    see http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/sqldownsouth/2009/08/07/use-sql-compare-by-red-gate-to-find-a-missing-index/

Any reason why it may of been removed?
    Hi Fontiguy

Thank you for your updates to this forum post.

The ability to compare indexes as a separate object has never existed. The DDL for Indexes have always been included with the DDL for a table. I have no ETA as to when the Feature Request SC-2447 will be included in a future version of the product.
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • I would like to second this request.
    Index-only comparisons would be very useful for a lot of scenarios.

I understand that there are added complexities if there are any fields missing in the destination if the compare/deploy is solely on indexes, but I am sure the brilliant folks at RG would be able to suggest a workflow or UI to get around that.
    I recommend that anyone interested in this forum topic, vote and comment on the following SQL Compare User Voice forum topic:

https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/141379-sql-compare/suggestions/17212157-manage-indexes-separately-from-tables

The theory that the more votes and comments a topic receives will increase the chances of the feature requested being included in a future version of SQL Compare. The User Voice forum is the best place to submit feature suggestions.
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • SyedaliSyedali Posts: 3 New member
    It is true. Feature was available in previous version by unchecking all other table differences. With new version they removed one of the most important feature. Comparing databases for index differences is mos important of all for DBA
  • Syedali said:
    It is true. Feature was available in previous version by unchecking all other table differences. With new version they removed one of the most important feature. Comparing databases for index differences is mos important of all for DBA
    I remember this too and have today, hit the problem of trying to figure out differences in indexes using the latest versions of Compare.  It would be very useful to have this facility back.