Options

Firewall?

jochem4207jochem4207 Posts: 47
edited January 9, 2014 8:26AM in Deployment Manager
Hey Redgate again,

I'm getting this error message a lot of times:
There was a problem processing your request: 0 timeout

If I get the error for example when creating a step. I just refresh and it's gone. But I want to know what causes this.

At the moment the situation is:

PC - 1 : Redgate deployment manager
PC - 2 : Redgate agent

Currently developing on PC-1 so the package gets uploaded to PC-2 and after that it gets installed on PC-1.

I've created a specific allow on port 10301 in both firewalls in and outbound. They are both in the same company network.

What's the problem here causing redgate to show the error message al ot of times (on almost all pages)

Comments

• Options
    We've got a hunch for what's causing this, but can I just double-check some things with you to see if we're on the right lines.

We suspect that one of our AJAX calls is timing out, causing a red error bar to appear at the top of the page showing the message "0 timeout".

If you refresh the page then the bar is gone (because it's not in the initial HTML that gets shown -- it's added later by JavaScript). It probably won't re-appear, because of caching in the server, and so the AJAX request sent by the reloaded page probably won't timeout.

The AJAX request that's our slowest is used on the adding a step page as well as on the viewing an individual release page. Is it just those pages that you're seeing the timeout on? Or is it other pages as well?

If you could let me know whether that makes sense with what you're seeing, importantly precisely which pages you're seeing the error message on that would help us track down and fix the issue.

Thanks!

I don't think it's a firewall issue because as you say, it works once you refresh the page, and firewall issues generally tend to exhibit themselves as things always going wrong...
  • Options
    The AJAX request that's our slowest is used on the adding a step page as well as on the viewing an individual release page. Is it just those pages that you're seeing the timeout on? Or is it other pages as well?

So far i've noticed this on
    - Step page
    - Creating a release page (projects/tb-upgrade-copy/releases/create)

I keep watching and will edit this topic clearly if I see it at more pages.

I've in one project 7 steps. When loading that one I seem to get timeouts. When loading a other project with only 1 step it doesn't seem to occur.

Also i've to notice that the pc where the deployment manager is installed on is a bit slow one.

Is there maybe any log file that could help?
  • Options
    Sorry, I was wrong before -- that AJAX request is also used on the create a release page too. On the create a release page, when you see the red error bar, are the version dropdowns visible or not?

The steps thing makes sense -- the AJAX request is talking to the NuGet server and getting information about the package in each step, so the more steps you've got the longer it will take. Similarly, if the NuGet server (we ship one as part of Deployment Manager server that you're probably using), is on a slow machine, which you mentioned, that's another factor in it being more likely to timeout.

I've added a bug to our Important Bugs row. We've got a separate piece of work at the moment to make the embedded NuGet server perform better, but I'll also see if e.g. the timeout could be made bigger and/or retry, etc...