Support for TFS 2013

SCGJohnSCGJohn Posts: 8 Bronze 2
We're preparing to upgrade our TFS server to version 2013. Is the current version of SQL Source Control (3.5.1.69) supported on this version of TFS? If not, when do you expect to have a version that is?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi - I'm afraid SQL Source Control doesn't officially support TFS 2013 yet, but we're hoping to have something out soon that does. I'll let you know as soon as I've got some idea on when that would be - in the meantime we'd suggest using the Working Folder option and committing manually. Sorry for the inconvenience!
    Andy Campbell Smith

Red Gate Technical Support Engineer
  • SCGJohnSCGJohn Posts: 8 Bronze 2
    Hi - I'm afraid SQL Source Control doesn't officially support TFS 2013 yet, but we're hoping to have something out soon that does. I'll let you know as soon as I've got some idea on when that would be - in the meantime we'd suggest using the Working Folder option and committing manually. Sorry for the inconvenience!

The working folder option in TFS or SSC? Could you detail a little how this would work?
  • In SQL Source Control, when you link a database you're presented with a number of options for your source control system. If you pick "Working Folder," SQL Source Control will just commit changes to a directory on your hard drive, which you can then manually commit to TFS.

There's an article about working folders in SQL Source Control on our documentation site, but it doesn't say much else: http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... ng+folders

Does that make sense?
    Andy Campbell Smith

• One of our engineers is reporting that SQL Source Control seems to be working OK with TFS 2013 on his test VM - that'll be using the TFS 2012 client DLLs, which you can get by installing the 2012 client tools available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download ... x?id=30656

We haven't tested this, so I can't promise that it'll work, but I can say that we're not aware of anything that's broken in it yet. If anything does seem not to work, the first thing that we'll suggest is using a working folder to commit instead.
    Andy Campbell Smith

Andy - Thanks for the follow-up.

We'd be using the TFS 2013 client DLLs (VS 2013), although the 2012 DLLs would still be there since we'd just do an additional VS 2013 install on the same clients (so both client DLLs would be installed).

Re: Use working folders - any differences with how the sql files are generated etc. by SSC when using working folders vs. the TFS integrated config? Essentially, I'm concerned with switching from TFS integration w/ 2012 to Working Folders for 2013 and then trying to switch back to TFS integration once it's supported for TFS 2013.
  • Using a working folder will generate exactly the same scripts that it would for TFS or any other source control system, so there shouldn't be any problem using a working folder for now and then switching back to the integrated TFS support once we're ready with that.
    Andy Campbell Smith

• davidsumlindavidsumlin Posts: 8 New member
    Has there been any update on this? We recently migrated to TFS2013 and I just realized that I couldn't use SQL Source Control.
  • We're working on testing this right now - it's difficult to tell how long it'll take at this point before we're happy to release, but we're hoping it'll be very soon. Sorry about the inconvenience!
    Andy Campbell Smith

We're working on testing this right now - it's difficult to tell how long it'll take at this point before we're happy to release, but we're hoping it'll be very soon. Sorry about the inconvenience!
    How's testing going? Any further news on this?
  • RBeaubienRBeaubien Posts: 26 Bronze 2
    Still waiting for TFS2013 support. Any word???? It's only deep into 2014 now. :-)
    - Robert Beaubien
    - Kool Software
  • We're more or less ready to go with TFS 2013 functionality - we're expecting the next SQL Source Control release to include it, unless something goes wrong. That should be very soon - I'll update this thread when that goes out.
    Andy Campbell Smith

• SQL Source Control 3.6.0.3 has been released today, with support for TFS 2013: http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... ease+notes

It's only available to users that have turned on frequent updates - you can find out how to turn on frequent updates here: http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... nt+updates
    Andy Campbell Smith