How to review the database scripts before deployment?

enaksanamunenaksanamun Posts: 3
edited October 24, 2013 11:52AM in Deployment Manager
Hello guys,

I guess the topic says everything about my question. I am a DBA and I'd like to review the database scripts before applying them to the target machines. As far as I can see there's no such an option in the web interface of the DM, however I thought if I knew where those NuGet files are stored, I can manually review the files if that's a possibility?

P.S.
- I use NuGet as the package feed.
- I use the SSMS Snap-in to create packages.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ekrem

Comments

• I would also be interested in being able to download a package directly from a link in DM.
  • It somewhat depends on how you've set up your project as to whether you'll be able to see the script or not. There's nothing in the Deployment Manager UI, but you could certainly grab the nuget file from your feed and open it up to have a look using something like Nuget Explorer

However, if you're using Dynamic database packages then there probably won't be anything to see, because the script is generated on the fly during deployment. You can choose to validate the deployment either before or after the upgrade by setting some variables. Please see here for details on deployment validation.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Thanks James. I guess I perform Dynamic updates.

I took a look at the document you suggested, however the thing I was looking for reviewing the SQL Server database scripts before the deployment. I talked to Alex from RedGate support and thanks to him, he informed me that feature is not available for the current release, but will be available with the next release. So I guess I have to wait for the next release to start using this nicely done deployment tool.
  • Hi Ekrem,

The ability to review scripts conveniently as part of the release process, including allowing them to require approval, is in our upcoming work. It's not going to be part of the next release (tomorrow), though tomorrows release should include some exciting improvements to database deployments.

We'd love to get your input on the review story if you have the time?

Just send an email to justin.caldicott@red-gate.com and we'll arrange a time.

Best wishes,

Justin
    Justin Caldicott
    Developer
    Redgate Software Ltd