restore previous version backups

ronron Posts: 14
edited February 8, 2006 10:20AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I will admit that I have not read the manual.

Can version 4 restore backups from version 3? I did a quick test and it failed telling me it was not a valid backup file.

Thanks,
Ron

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Yes it should. Was the file encrypted?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • yes, the backup file is encrypted.
  • The GUI can read the backup file, knows it is encrypted, gives me a check mark when I supply the password but when I try to do the restore I get this error.

Restore dbname

Restoring AuthDB (database) on DBA instance from:
    \\backup_path\dbname.sqb
    \\backup_path\dbname.sqb.log.txt

Error 570: File is not a SQL Backup file.

SQL Backup exit code: 570
  • I have discovered that I with version 4 I can backup to network share just fine. I can not restore from a network share.

The scripts I am using work just fine in version 3.x for backing up and restoring from a network share

The network share is used by about 20 sql servers running red-gate backup 3.x for their backup destination and it works just fine.

Using the 4.x GUI I backed up just fine to the network share and a local drive.

When I try to restore through a script or the GUI I get a 570 error when restoring from the network share and the restore runs when restoring from a local drive.

I removed version 4.x from the server and put version 3.x on the server and it now restores the 3.x backups from the network share just fine. The server was a new server setup yesterday that never had 3.x on it. I started with 4.x but it did not work.
    Please check if the SQL Backup Agent service has 'read' writes to the network share.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • It does. It has no problems writing to the network share and can read from it for setting up the restore in the GUI. If the source is encrypted I get the the check mark in the GUI indicating that I have I have supplied the correct password. It just can't restore the database.
    What is the output you get when you restore using the extended stored procedure directly, say from Query Analyzer? Also, does RESTORE SQBHEADERONLY ... work? How about RESTORE FILELISTONLY ...?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Here is what I get trying to restore. I changed the password for obvious reasons.

ArchiveDB
    -SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [ArchiveDB] FROM DISK = [\\densrvuasql01\d$\sys-rge05_backup\ArchiveDB.sqb] WITH move [ArchiveDb_Data] to [e:\mssql\data\ArchiveDb_Data.mdf], move [ArchiveDb_Log] to [e:\mssql\data\ArchiveDb_Log.ldf], password = [xxxxxxxxx] , replace "
    SQL Backup (DLL v4.0.0.113)
    Restoring ArchiveDB (database) from:
    \\densrvuasql01\d$\sys-rge05_backup\ArchiveDB.sqb
    \\densrvuasql01\d$\sys-rge05_backup\ArchiveDB.sqb.log.txt

Error 570: File is not a SQL Backup file.

SQL Backup exit code: 570

(7 row(s) affected)

name value

exitcode 570
    sqlerrorcode 0
    filename01 \\densrvuasql01\d$\sys-rge05_backup\ArchiveDB.sqb
    filename02 \\densrvuasql01\d$\sys-rge05_backup\ArchiveDB.sqb.log.txt

(4 row(s) affected)

ArchiveDB restore failed
  • header only works just fine.

SQL Backup (DLL v4.0.0.113)
    Reading SQB file header of "\\densrvuasql01\d$\sys-rge05_backup\ArchiveDB.sqb"

Backup group ID : 111617709
    File number : 1 of 1

Backup type : 1 (Database)
    Backup size : 2.438 MB
    Backup start : Wednesday, February 01, 2006 10:28:22 AM
    Backup end : Wednesday, February 01, 2006 10:28:22 AM

Server name : SYS-RGE05
    Database name : ArchiveDB

First LSN : 10000000012300001
    Last LSN : 10000000012500001
    Checkpoint LSN : 10000000012300002
    Differential base LSN : 10000000011200002

(19 row(s) affected)

name value

exitcode 0
    sqlerrorcode 0
    filename01 \\densrvuasql01\d$\sys-rge05_backup\ArchiveDB.sqb

(3 row(s) affected)
    There's a bug in 4.0 which will adds a wildcard after the file name to pick up all other files matching the entered file name pattern. If you look at the output,

Restoring ArchiveDB (database) from:
    \\densrvuasql01\d$\sys-rge05_backup\ArchiveDB.sqb
    \\densrvuasql01\d$\sys-rge05_backup\ArchiveDB.sqb.log.txt

it's wrongly picking up the log file. This has been fixed in 4.1, which will be released soon.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Thanks,

Can you please tell me how soon it will be released?