cpu usage 90% for an hour

stevenhobanstevenhoban Posts: 21
edited July 22, 2013 3:34AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I had a support call at 1pm saying that users where saying the app was running slow. I checked the cpu processor time and it was pegged up at around 90% for over an hour.
I have used the back in time feature of sql monitor and underneath the top 10 expensive queries ( which by the way, only seem to show queries used by sql monitor and not my user queries ) there is a heading named "SQL user processes (top 10 by CPU usage) and listed under this is the follwoing:
SPID 86 LOGIN TIME '17 JUK 2013 09:42 HOST "SERVER NAME"
PROGRAM NAME "SQL BACKUP" COMMAND "EXECUTE" STATUS "RUNABLE" DATABASE "MASTER"

This co-insides with when the processor started to max out.
Our sql backup pro runs on the host 'server name' but it wasnt doing anybackups at that time ?

Comments

• Hi,

What was the CPU usage for 'SQL Backup' process when CPU was maxing out?

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • How do i check that ?
  • Hi,

You can use 'Back in time' feature on Machine overview and then navigate to time when CPU was maxing out. You should then be able to look at 'System processes (top 10)' list and see which process was using CPU.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • ah ok.
    I can see SQBCoreService @ 44.9%
    and
    sqlservr @ 44.0%

I understand that the sqbcoreservice is not meant to cpu intensive ? Is this correct ?

Any pointers on where i go from here ?
  • Hi,

If there was no backup going at this point and still SQBCoreService service was using was using ~45% CPU then it will be worth raising it in SQL Backup forum or raising a support ticket.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • We have transaction log backups every 10 minutes but the full backups are done during the night.
    The transaction log backups run througout the day with no issues. How come the cpu would be so high for this service ?
  • Hi Steven,

I would suggest to raise this issue in SQL Backup forum or with Support@red-gate.com. I work for SQL Monitor development team hence my knowledge of SQL Backup is limited. SQL Backup development team or Red Gate Support team are better people to answer your queries.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software