Secondary Server instance is not in the Restore to list?

essamughalessamughal Posts: 35
edited January 20, 2006 1:52PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi ;

I just downloaded Version 4 and I tried the thing which I noticed, I have to instance on the same machine and I want to setup log shipping between two servers. But, the problem is that when I setup Restore, I can't see the Secondary Instance in Restore To List Combo, it is only showing the Primary Server Instance into the Restore To List, I want to restore on Secondary Instance.

I tested version 3, it was okay in that version, I also installed component on both instances using the SQL Backup GUI.

Please, let me know if this an issue. :?:

Thanks
Essa

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Have you registered the 2nd server instance in the GUI (Servers Panel)?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • It was already registered when I was running version 3. Actually, I upgraded the version 3 to 4 on the same machine. So, my SQL backup GUI already have two instances of SQL Server.

Do I need to register it again after removing it from the SQL Backup GUI?
    If you already have both instances registered in the SQL Backup GUI, you should be able to select both instances during the restore setup phase in the log shipping wizard.

Were both servers listed on step 1 of the wizard?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Yes, both the instances are coming in the list to select the backup from any server. But, the Secondary instance is not coming in the Restore to List, which is not helping me, I had to use my old script from version 3 to setup restore jobs. I was not able to restore on my secondary instance using the GUI but I did it using the script which I created using version 3.

Need response.
    I could not reproduce your error. The list of servers from the step 1 is bascially copied to the list of servers on step 5.

Do you encounter this everytime you start the log shipping wizard?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • I am using Restore Wizard not Log Shipping Wizard.

I deleted the Registration and re-register the secondary server but it is still not showing the server in the Restore to List.

thanks for quick response.
    Sorry for the confusion.

The list of servers you can restore to is determined by the location of the file. You cannot restore a file located on Server A to Server B, as Server B would not know how to get the file.

So, the only servers that will get listed in step 3 of the wizard will be Server A, and any other SQL Server instances on Server A i.e. all servers that can access the file locally.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Point # 1:
    Okay, I am running both the instances on the same machine and trying to simulate automatic backup and restore from one primary instance to secondary instance. So, Server A and Server B are on the same machine and server B can access the backup file since it is on the same local machine.

Point # 2:
    I have implemented same thing in version 3 b/c I've testing the version for last 10 days and I just installed version 4 and I am unable to select Secondary server yet.

Point # 3:
    Let me check the Log Shipping Wizard as well.

thanks
    Did you select the file from a named instance? If so, that's a bug and will be fixed in the next update. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • I think named instance means the instance installed on the same machine, then yes.

Were you able to re-create that case at your side?

I have to check the Log Shipping Wizard as well.