SQL Prompt capitalizes XML functions

eugefeugef Posts: 17
edited July 1, 2013 11:30AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hello, I recently started to use "SQL Prompt 5" for my SQL development and came across this issue.

We have a lot of xml manipulation done in the stored procedures in our system and when I type one of SQL xml functions "SQL Propmpt" capitalize them which makes function invalid, because they are case-sensitive.

DECLARE @EntityXml XML = '<Root><Child/></Root>'

@EntityXml.QUERY('/Root/Child') is invalid.

Unfortunately there is no way to undo formatting. Every time i hit space of period the function gets capitalized and even when I hit "Esc" after that formatting are not reverted and function stays CAPITALIZED, creating "catch 22" situation. I need to go back and retype the function and as soon as I hit any other key it gets capitalized.
The only way out I found is to type my functions intentionally type wrong function name (usually with extra character at the end like "valuee" and then get back and fix it.

I went through options and could find a way to disable this capitalization.

Can someone advise on any solution. It's very annoying and frustrating.

Thank you

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi
    Thank you for your forum post.

By default SQL Prompt will UPPERCASE, 'reserved keywords', 'Built-in functions' and 'built-in data types'

Try editing the SQL Prompt options ->Format ->Case and modify the 'select the case to use for:' for each option 'reserved keywords', 'Built-in functions' and 'built-in data types' using the dropdown to 'Leave as is'.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi Eddie,

I had "Build-in functions" set to "Leave as is", but that didn't resolve the issue.

Now I also set "Build-in data types" to "Leave as is" (which doesn't make sence, since xml functions are not data types) but even that didn't resolved the issue.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your reply.

I can confirm that this is abug in SQL Prompt and updated an existing Bug Report whose reference is SP-2914.

I have reassigned the Bug Report to the current Product Manager and requested that he review the Bug Report.

I understand that this is a frustrating problem for you and sadly there is not a work around for it. I will update this post when I receive further information.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Thank you. Please, keep me posted.
  • Hi there,

We have just released an early access release of Prompt where we don’t uppercase xml functions while you type any more.

You can download it here: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-de ... ompt-6-eap

Hope that helps,

Jonathan Watts
    - Red Gate
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • That is great. Thank you so much. :D:D
  • Just a quick question, is this free upgrade with my current SQL Prompt 5 licence ?
  • Currently the EAP is free to use, however it will expire at the end of July. When we do the final release this it will be a new major version - SQL Prompt v6. As such it will be a free upgrade if you have a support and upgrades contract, otherwise it will be a paid upgrade.

Regards,

Jonathan Watts
    - Red Gate
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd