Issues with Monitored Server connections v3.4.1.4

JoeGTJoeGT Posts: 50
I am having issues with connectivity to some of the SQL instances that I monitor in a UAT environment (I have the same version of SQL Monitor 3.4.1.4 - running without issue in two production environments)

The specs in this problem UAT environment

Base Monitor - Hosted on node 1 of a two node SQL failover cluster (I would ideally like to have this reside on a remote server but I dont yet have the hardware available to do this)

I use a domain account (that is a member of the Administrators group on all monitored servers and also a "sysadmin" SQL login on all instances I want to monitor) to run the Base Monitor connections

The issues I am seeing that using this Base Monitor account I have the following

Stand alone SQL server and instance

- no issues with connection

2 Node SQL Cluster

- Connection Failed to parent cluster node and then to the instance that is hosted on this server

Date Group Event Outcome Exception Exception message
12/06/2013 3:47 WMI OpenNamespace: Root\MSCluster Internal SQL Monitor 3 error ManagementException User credentials cannot be used for local connections

- Connection successful to both host servers in this cluster as well as the second SQL instance (which is NOT hosted on the base monitor server)

Is the issue that I cant have the Base Monitor running on a host server that belongs to an SQL cluster and use domain account credentials ? Or is there something more simple that I am missing that will solve this one for me ?

Cheers

Joe

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Thank you for your forum post.

This entry indicates a WMI problem:
    Date Group Event Outcome Exception Exception message
    12/06/2013 3:47 WMI OpenNamespace: Root\MSCluster Internal SQL Monitor 3 error ManagementException User credentials cannot be used for local connections

Can you please run through the tests for the data collection methods as per this help ARTICLE?

Hopefully the tests will help you identify the cause and how to rectify the problem.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi Eddie

I have followed the instructions in your link to check WMI. (minus the screenshots)

Testing WMI

At the command prompt, run:
    wbemtest

In the Windows Management Instrumentation Tester dialog box, click Connect.

In the Namespace box, type \\myserver.example.com\root\cimv2 where myserver.example.com is the name of the
    Windows server you are attempting to monitor.

Under Credentials, enter the Windows account you are using to monitor the server and the password. This is the account listed under Credentials on the Monitored serverspage in SQL Monitor (Configuration > Monitored servers).

Click Connect.
    Click Query and enter the following query:
    SELECT Name FROM Win32_Service
    Click Apply. You should see a list of results similar to those shown below:

If connection fails and an "Access Denied" error message is displayed, see WMI Troubleshooting and WMI Isn't Working!.

I get exactly the same issue when I try these tests with the error:

"User credentials cannot be used for local connections"

So back to my question - is the issue that I cant have the Base Monitor running on a host server that belongs to an SQL cluster and use domain account credentials ie. the base monitor is running on the instance that I am monitoring and that instance is the member of a cluster.

Cheers

Joe
  • Can I please get an update on this question or a ticket logged ?
  • Eddie has asked me to take a look at your question.

Basically SQL Monitor is unable to support the monitoring of a cluster when it is installed on a node of that cluster.

The technical reason for this is a bit complicated, but boils down to the fact that WMI contains a bug which SQL Monitor encounters when it monitors the local machine. It contains logic which identifies this scenario and does some special stuff to ensure that WMI will work, but when this local machine is part of a cluster, it is not possible to differentiate between the local cluster details and the local machine details and so WMI is subject to the original problem which the logic tries to overcome.

Unfortunately, this means that the only workaround is install on a separate standalone machine.

I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any questions.
  • Thanks for the reply Chris

I thought it might come down to something like this.

I will have to look at moving the base monitor setup to a server that is not part of the cluster.

Cheers

Joe
  • gdiasgdias Posts: 1 New member
    edited July 29, 2022 2:20PM
    Sirs!

My Redgate Monitor (Version 12.1.22) is installed on a separate server and I have these same problems.

Only the Nodes and SQL Server instances that belong to a cluster that have a connection problem.

I asked Microsoft support and it still didn't work. I've done everything. Can you help me?

Thanks
    Log error >>> OpenNamespace: root\cimv2 Log error >>> The RPC server is unavailable. (0x800706BA)
  • Hi @gdias, thank you for your post.

We do have some troubleshooting steps and an outline of the issue and cause here in this article: Server Unavailable Errors when Connecting to Remote Server

Would you be able to try working through that? Please do let me know how you get on.