Use migration script with Snapshots

rickjr82rickjr82 Posts: 21
edited May 24, 2013 8:42AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
We have a process where we are creating snapshots based on check-ins to SQL source control and then picking a version to deploy and using sql compare to deploy that snapshot to the target database.

It appears that deploying from a snapshot doesn't pick up any migration scripts- am I missing anything?

Comments

• Snapshots only capture the database schema, so the addtional migration information is not available when comparing snapshots.

The current implementation of Migrations requires a connection to your version control system. To generate a deployment script that includes your migrations you should compare revisions from SQL Source Control that are equivalent to the state of the deployed database.

You might find some of the resources on this page interesting: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-de ... tegration/

I'm working on revising our approach to migrations at the moment, to improve branching and support Git and Mercurial. I'd love to get your feedback if you have time - I'll send you an e-mail.

David Pond
    Software Engineer
  • Sounds good, I sent you a PM with contact and more general information.

Once we get this finalized, I will provide a write up and share with the group on a solid CI->automated deploy process.