Options

Mediaset families missing after conversion from SQB

reinisbreinisb Posts: 17
edited March 19, 2013 10:50AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I have an SQB backup that I converted back to a .BAK so I could restore through the SQL Server native GUI.

During the conversion the SQB was extracted to 23 seperate BAK files. If I understand correctly, this is because the THREADCOUNT parameter in the SQL Backup command is 23.

However, when I select all the backup files in the SQL Server GUI, set the file locations, etc. and try to execute the backup, SQL Server gives me the following error:

Restore failed for Server 'LAXNODE\LAXInstance'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended)

The media set has 23 media families but only 1 are provided. All members must be provided.
RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3132)

Looking online that error usually means you created a backup using two different files in the first place, so my guess is that because of the threadcount parameter SQL Backup creates it with 23 different backup files initially before it compresses it into a single SQB.

How do I get this backup to restore correctly? I have selected all the files available, so I would think it would work.

Does anyone have any solutions?

Thanks,

Reinis

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    If use SQL Profiler to trace the restore command that SQL Server is using, is it trying to restore using all 23 bak files, or only a single bak file?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Thanks Petey for the response.

I tried it again and it worked. It's possible I was being a doofus and trying to restore files and filegroups instead of database (it was friday afternoon after all :roll: ), but I'm not sure.

I will go to Profiler quicker next time!

Thanks.

Reinis