Options

Enhancement Request for making snapshots

nsamsnsams Posts: 12
edited September 25, 2013 12:59PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I have a very simple yet important enhancement request.

File | Create Snapshot: fill in all the information and click "Create Snapshot".
Result: All the information you just entered (with the exception of the "Create In" field) gets cleared and you have to re-enter all that information again if you want to make a different snapshot!

This is very time consuming. I work off one server and have about 35 different databases. When I need to make a few snapshots, I have to re-enter the server and user name and password each and every time!

Can you please change the program to save the server information by default? Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,439 Rose Gold 2
    edited February 1, 2013 12:15PM
    Yes, I can see how that would be really annoying.

I have created a feature request for that (SC-6195). Would it be okay if we simply didn't dismiss the Create New Snapshot dialog after the snapshot has been created, keeping the previously entered fields?

In the meantime, could you try using SQL Snapper, which is a freely distributable tool that creates snapshots:

Mine is here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Compare 10\RedGate.SQLSnapper.exe

David Atkinson
    Red Gate
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Yes. If you left the Create screen open after it was done and did not clear the fields until it was closed by the user, then that would work fine for me. It would not be that bad to only have to enter that information once.

Thanks for considering the suggestion.

And I will check out that Snapper tool!
  • Options
    I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to add that you can create multiple snapshots off the same server more easily by entering the server on one side of the Edit Project dialog, choosing 'Snapshot' from the other side, and using the 'Create Snapshot...' link there - which will automatically populate itself from the other side of the dialog.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software