Clock skew alert

xdaixdai Posts: 98
Hi,

we are currently on latest version of sql monitor, i would like to know what clock skew alert is about? thanks

Comments

• Hi

This alert will be raised when the difference between the Base Monitor clock time and the monitored server clock time is greater than fifteen seconds.

This is important because large time differences between machines can cause authentication issues which will prevent our software monitoring correctly.

I hope this helps

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Hi,

I do see the servers threw the alert has the same time as the base monitor server. thanks
  • xdai wrote:
    Hi,

we are currently on latest version of sql monitor, i would like to know what clock skew alert is about? thanks

I'm getting the same message every day at seemingly random times. My base monitor and SQL server are the same machine so I don't see how this can even be possible. Can you please advise on how to fix this alert?
  • tristans wrote:
    I'm getting the same message every day at seemingly random times. My base monitor and SQL server are the same machine so I don't see how this can even be possible. Can you please advise on how to fix this alert?

First of all, apologies for the very late reply.

This does sound a bit crazy. Can you confirm that the SQL Server you mention is the server you are monitoring as opposed to the server that hosts the SQL Monitor data repository?

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Is there a way to change the clock skew alert to to either higher or lower value...?

regards,

Ian
  • Hi Ian,

No, it is not currently supported.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Lynchie435Lynchie435 Posts: 15 Bronze 1
    tristans wrote:
    xdai wrote:
    Hi,

I echo Tristan here, I also seem to be getting the message at seemingly random times and both the Base Monitor and Data Repository are on the same server.

Regards,

James
  • I have exactly the same situation and raised a ticket with Red Gate support who have spent a fair amount if time investigating :

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... clock+skew

However still no resolution.

I am monitoring 14 instances and 10 of them (only the ones that are member of an SQL cluster), continue to get these alerts multiple times a day.

One of the suggestions from Red Gate support was that the query of the instance for clock time takes too long to return a result and so the clock skew is actually a false positive.

I am loathe to turn this alert off as then if there was a genuine reason for actual clock skew, I would probably only know when I started to see other issues resulting from a lack of clock synchronization between my various servers.
  • We also have this problem with all of our monitored servers, 14 physical hosts running failover cluster instances and one stand alone server. All servers including the one running SQL Monitor are physical.

The alert gets triggered at different frequencies, from around every 4-5 minutes on some machines to just a few per day on others. I have compared the Windows clock on the monitored servers with the server running SQL monitor and they do not differ more than 1 second, but the alerts reports up to 50 seconds of time difference.

All clock skew alerts get automatically ended the next minute, for example:
    Time raised: 12 Jun 2013 6:23 AM
    Time ended: 12 Jun 2013 6:24 AM

Is the clock skew check a WMI call or SQL query?

Servers are running SQL 2008R2 SP1 or SQL 2012 RTM, all on Windows 2008 R2 SP1.
    SQL Monitor version 3.4.0.392.

Regards,
    Michael