Link to existing SVN repository

BobgBobg Posts: 6
We have been using Subversion for the past few years for all of our DBs, can SQL Source control 3 be linked to these existing SVN repositories?

Comments

• Thanks for your post.

The answer to this question will depend on the format of the files in SVN - SQL Source Control is designed to work with a certain format of scripts, the same as if SQL Compare had produced them. Assuming this is the case, then you simply need to create an empty file called RedGate.ssc in the root of the SVN folder structure for the DB in question, and then link to that.

If the files are in some other format (for instance a VS DB Project or simply arbitrary scripts) then chances are it won't work unfortunately.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Our respository was created using SQL Compare 8, File, Create Scripts Folder. I created an empty file RedGate.ssc, but get an error when trying to link the database. It says "Path must be an empty folder."
  • Using those folders should be OK.
    That error sounds like you maybe didn't create the file in the right place, or didn't commit it? It should be alongside the "RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml" file and the various folders containing the objects - in addition, this must be the folder you're trying to link to using SQL Source Control.

Redgate Software

• Thank you, that worked!
  • Good to hear!

Redgate Software

• Turns out that when I committed a change to a table it completely broke SQL Source Control. Somehow the scripting routine in SQL Source control added the trigger that was on the table a second time, then complained that there was 2 triggers with the same name. I put in a support request (F0067398) and they told me the SQL Compare is not compatable with SQL Source Control 3. Now I am left trying to repair my repository.
  • SQL Compare is compatible, but it may be that version 8 held things slightly differently (although I don't recall this being the case).
    If you're able to supply us the relevant original file and details of the change you made, we can attempt to reproduce the problem here to see if there's anything that can be done.

Redgate Software

• What files do you need, and how can I get them to you?
  • Ideally the table/trigger definition (and any related tables/functions that may be required to go along with it) from before you made the change, assuming you can roll back to that.
    Then, details of the change you made in SSMS and committed. if you can reply to the ticket you have with my colleague, that would be easiest.

Redgate Software