Amazon RDS MS SQL?

hbax450hbax450 Posts: 3 Bronze 1
edited December 4, 2012 11:33AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Great tool, but doesn't work with Amazon RDS MS SQL. Anyone have luck with this?

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi hbax450

SQL Backup does not support Amazon RDS. From the information I have read about Amazon RDS is that they provide you with a database instance and they perform all the administrative tasks including backup services for your database instance.

For SQL Backup to operate successfully, you will need to install the SQL Backup Server components which include:
      Total of nine Extended Stored Procedures which are created in the master database. SQL Server Compact Edition, used to cache the backup and restore history from the msdb database. SQL Backup Agent Service, Windows service that runs the SQL Backup engine.
    I suspect that you would be denied installing the SQL Backup Server Components on the Amazon RDS.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi hbax450

I have just had another thought. If you are a Red Gate SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare user, you could use these tools to obtain a local copy of your database by comparing and deploying the changes to a test database.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • hbax450hbax450 Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    Thanks Eddie, yes we are. It's just something I'd rather have automated. To run that routine on the 10+ databases we have, it would be a huge time commitment.