Git and GitHub Pushing/Pulling

JackAceJackAce Posts: 75 New member
I am experimenting with a GitHub-based repository and I'd like to use Red Gate Source Control to manage the database updates.

Can you *only* link SQL Source Control to a working folder with Git? Can you not link it directly with the server (e.g. GitHub)? If this is true, does it mean that I need to manually perform a "git pull" before I can "Get Latest" in SSMS? Do I need to manually perform a "git push" so that others may see my changes?

Comments

• Thanks for your post- you're correct; currently SQL Source Control just links to a working folder.

The commands we run to do a commit etc. are stored in an XML file - you can click "manage config files" on the link page, and create a copy of the git.xml to edit for your own purposes... so it *may* be possible to create, say, a batch file that does a commit then a push as two steps, and call your batch file in git.xml. I don't know of anyone who's tried this; so there's no guarantee it'll work.

Longer term, we're hoping to support more systems "natively" including Mercurial, and possibly Git, so support may improve in the future.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• How can I deactivate phantom licenses from machines that may not exist anymore? I have had my hard drive replaced twice in the past month and I registered the serial number each time (I was not able to deactivate it before the crash).
  • mikhelee wrote:
    How can I deactivate phantom licenses from machines that may not exist anymore? I have had my hard drive replaced twice in the past month and I registered the serial number each time (I was not able to deactivate it before the crash).

It's best to email your serial number in to support and say how many machines you couldn't deactivate- we can reset them for you.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software