Error message attempting to do restore after upgrading 6.4

CVRCVR Posts: 3
edited May 18, 2012 10:20AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I am getting the error message:

"One or more database file names contain invalid characters, such as \ / : * ? " < > |"

when trying to perform a restore from a backup file.

The backup file name has not changed since upgrading from 6.4 to 7.0 (yesterday).

I have done a quick search on Google and found the same error message could come up on v5.0 and the fix was to amend the SQL Server path in the registry.

Can anybody confirm if this is still the way to fix this problem; I'm not exactly happy about that if it is!

Many thanks,

Richard

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you please post the restore command you are running, and also the result of running RESTORE FILELISTONLY on the backup file?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Petey,

Thanks for the response.

Not sure I can give you the info you have asked for though: the problem occurs when using the restore wizard within SQL Backup.

Steps are:

1. Select "Browse for Backup Files to restore" in the dropdown
    2. Select the server to restore to in the dropdown
    3. Click the Add Files button and choose the backup file to restore
    4. Click Next to take me to Page 2 of the wizard
    5. Use the Overwrite existing database option and select the target database

Immediately upon doing this last step, I get the error message as described before appearing below the database selection dropdown, with a red "no entry" symbol next to it.

Thanks,

Richard
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you please use SQL Profiler to trace the commands used by the SQL Backup GUI? The last command is probably the one raising the error. You could try running the same command, if possible, in Management Studio to check if the same error is raised.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8