SOLVED: 5.3.2 - Format SQL twice in right-click menu

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
edited May 14, 2012 2:38PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
After upgrade from 5.2.0.3 I find that the "Format SQL" and "Script Object as ALTER" right-click options are duplicated. The topmost pair are available, the lower pair, below a divider, are greyed-out. (SnagIt image available)

Please provide a patch/instructions on how to get rid of them.
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

This has happened to our customers about three times, but it's rare and nobody can replicate the issue at will. The developers claim it "shouldn't happen" in 5.2.x because the offending code imported from the old SQL Refactor tool had been re-written.

You may be able to reset the menus, at least temporarily, by resetting the SSMS dev environment:
    SSMS 2005: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\sqlwb.exe” /setup
    SSMS 2008: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\ssms.exe” /setup
    SSMS 2012: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\ssms.exe” /setup

• PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Thanks, I think, Brian.

What will "resetting the dev environment" actually do? I have customized it over 18 months to exactly how I want it - I will not take the risk of losing all that...

Please expand upon your post.

Thanks.
    Decide wisely...
  • I don't believe that /setup removes any of your customisations - I think it just tells addins to reinitialise themselves. I'm not certain though - it's not well documented.

The safer thing to try first would be to completely uninstall SQL Prompt, run SSMS without SQL Prompt installed, then close SSMS and reinstall SQL Prompt. That should clean up the menus.

By the way, from your other bug reports, I suspect this problem is related to the crash you saw on the first startup after upgrading SQL Prompt. It probably crashed while creating the menus, and left orphaned items.
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software
    By "completely unistall" are you referring to the RG uninstall or the more thorough Revo Uninstaller? I use Revo when I need to nuke everything because there's a defect that has no workaround and requires a "machine cleanse".

I need to save my aliases as last time I did a Revo uninstall, there they were gone! It would be a neat feature to be able to EXPORT then IMPORT -huh? Yes, and apparently http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/944 ... pt-options is "Under Review" but nobody on the outside knows "since when"... (I have no votes left on Uservoice, BTW, even with 25 votes applied or I would have added my 3 to this one!)

I've done the copy-file, copy-paste before but what a pain to have to do that for want of an export-import just like Snippets.

Please advise on the degree of uninstallation needed. Thanks.
    Decide wisely...
  • Just the Red Gate uninstall should be sufficient.
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software
    The uninstall, run ssms.exe /setup, SSMS, close, install worked, thanks.

Changed post title to SOLVED.
    Decide wisely...