Options

Updating Child Tables on Data Compare

I have a situation where I have a reference (parent) table. For Example: City - which has a PK (assigned by the system) and then the city short name, long name, FK to state, etc. I have a child table for Shipping Address. The shipping address has a FK to the City table.

On the data compare - we find that the City PKs are out of sync between the master copy and the environmental copy. So we use data compare to identify and update the City table. For example, city #21 is Houston, Texas in the master but is Anchorage, Alaska in the env. copy. Data compare recognizes this and creates an update script which updates the city table. But now all the shipping addresses in the env. copy that referred to Anchorage now refer to Houston.

Is there any way to have data compare to evaluate which records in the child (shipping address table) to update?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

The answer to your question:
    Is there any way to have data compare to evaluate which records in the child (shipping address table) to update?
    Unfortunately the answer is no, if you synchronize just the one single table.

The data consistency is maintained by comparing and synchronizing BOTH tables in the relationship. Then the data in the target database will be exactly identical to the data in source.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com