File Management options disappear

rrerre Posts: 42 Bronze 2
edited April 30, 2012 11:20AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I like to change at the Server options the log file path and check the setting "delete log files in this folder".
After pressing the OK Button and going back to the server options all my two changes are undone.

In the registry under 'HKLM\Software\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<instance name>' I checked the settings which are correct.
The target folder contains none new file for a backup job.

We using a cluster installation and I want to change it at on the active node. The account for the SQL Backup Service was changed in the past. This account has rights to the target folder to create, modify or deleting files in this directory.

What I have to do that my changes will saved?

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

The account you have given the SQL Backup Agent Service, needs to have the same username and password for each node. Also full control permissions to the SQL Backup Registry settings on each node of the cluster:
    'HKLM\Software\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<instance name>'
    'HKLM\Software\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettings\<instance name>'
    'HKLM\Software\Red Gate\SQL Backup\InstalledInstancesl\<instance name>'

Finally full control permissions to where the log folder and data folder.

To move the Local Data Store data.sdf file and SQL Backup log files so that all nodes of your cluster can share the same file and folder, please follow the instructions below: PLEASE NOTE I have assumed that you are using SQL Backup V6.4 or later.

1. Select a location for where the data.sdf file and SQL Backup files are to reside. Select a second location for the SQL backup Log Folder. This needs to be a shared disk that all nodes of the cluster can connect to.
    2. Ensure that the account given to the SQL Backup Agent service has Full control security permissions to the location decided in step 1.
    3. Disable the SQL Backup Resource for the SQL instance in the Cluster Administrator. This prevents a fail-over occurring when the SQL Backup Agent service is stopped for that SQL Instance.
    4. Stop the SQL Backup Agent Service.
    5. On the active node of the cluster locate the following registry folder:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<Instance Name>
    6. In the registry folder there will be a registry key called 'DataPath' whose value will contain the path to data.sdf, for example:
    C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\<Instance Name>\data.sdf
    7. Modify the 'DataPath' registry key so that the path becomes the path selected in step 1.
    8. Move the data.sdf from its present location to the path selected in step 1.
    9. On the inactive node, repeat steps 5, 6 and 7.
    10. Both nodes of the cluster, the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<Instance Name>\DataPath registry key should now have the same value pointing to the path selected in step 1.
    11. In the registry folder there will be a registry key called 'logFolder' whose value will contain the path to SQL Backup Log Folder, for example:
    C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\log\<Instance Name>12. Modify the 'logFolder' registry key so that the path becomes the path selected in step 1 for the log folder.
    13. On the inactive node, repeat steps 11 and 12.
    14. On the active node, restart the SQL backup Agent service.
    15. Enable the SQL Backup Resource.
    16. Ensure that the SQL Backup Agent Service starts, ensure that the paths are those set in the previous steps and test by performing a backup.
    17. If Step 16 is successful, failover the cluster. Ensure that the SQL Backup Agent service starts up. You should be able to see the exact same Activity History in the SQL backup GUI and view the log file for the test backup performed . Perform a backup to ensure that everything is OK

I hope the above answers your question.
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • rrerre Posts: 42 Bronze 2
    Thanks for the great and detailed description! It helped me a lot to find the error.

I found the problem at the registry. The account which was used by the service had not enough permission on the registry settings on each nodes of the cluster. After changed to full control it rocks!