Hyperbac Control Service locks files - Sharing Violation.

RML51RML51 Posts: 21
edited March 29, 2012 10:33AM in SQL HyperBac 5
I just downloaded and installed a new trial copy of HyperbacComponents.zip onto a test server instance. I ran a Virtual Restore yesterday and that successfully completed. Overnight I had a job scheduled to RoboCopy new .SQB files from my production server to the test server where HyperBac and VR are installed. The RoboCopy is setup to overlay the existing .SQB files. The RoboCopy did not work because the HyperBac Control Service had the old .SQB files locked which produced a file Sharing Violation.

The RoboCopy error looks like this: \\MYTESTSRV\D$\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\TestFile_Backup_Encrypted_1.sqb Sharing violation. Process Exit Code 4. The step failed.

Both servers are SQL 2005 SP4. The OS is Windows Server 2008.

Comments

• Hi RML51,

When a database has been virtually restored, the HyperBac service will lock the associated backup file to prevent that file being removed/changed thus breaking the Virtual Restore database which relies on it.

If the plan is to refresh the Virtual Database each night from a backup taken on production, I would drop the Virtual Restore database before the nightly backup file copy/new Virtual Restore takes place.

I hope that helps,
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry
  • Thanks, I'll give that a try.