Copy Queue Table For Full/Differential Backups?

MattSMattS Posts: 25
edited March 26, 2012 10:30AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I understand that when SQL backups are copied from the local directory to a network directory they are queued in the [backupfiles_copylist] table.

However, the only records that appear to be in this table are for LOG file backups - are you able to confirm where I can find the records relating to FULL and Differential backups that have been copied over?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi MattS

The Log Copy Queue is only used for Transaction Log Backup jobs.

When you perform a Full or Diff backup using the COPYTO keyword, the copy process is perfromed within the backup job and as a retry count as set by the DISKRETRYINTERVAL and DISKRETRYCOUNT keywords, by default is upto and including 10 attempts every 30 seconds. To check the success of the copying process you need to view the SQL Backup log file for that job. In the SQL Backup GUI ->Activity History tab may have a warning triangle to indicate that the backup was successful with warnings.

To help with a Log Shipping setups, Transaction Log Backups using the COPYTO keyword, the copying process differs. The copying process is perfromed outside of the log backup job. When the Log backup completes successfully, the job ends and an entry is placed into the Log Copy Queue. The SQL Backup Agent Service checks the Log Copy Queue and attempts to copy the log backup file to the configured network share. The retry attempts will take place for a 24 hour period. This SQL Backup help article contains further information.

I hope this answers your question.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Eddie,

Thanks for your reply, and the clarification.