SQL Backup & SQL Server 2012

mdgravesmdgraves Posts: 53
edited March 26, 2012 11:14AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
SQL 2012 RTM is available for download now, and licensing starting on 4/1/2012 (US). What are the plans for SQL Backup support of SQL 2012 platform within next 3 weeks?

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Thank you for your post into the forum.

The current version of SQL Backup, V6.5.1.9 with the V6.5.2.18 patch, will allow SQL backup v6.5 to operate with SQL Server 2012.

V6.5.1.9 can be downloaded using this LINK

The V6.5.2.18 patch can be obtained using this LINK

You need to be aware of couple of things that may catch you out.

The first is that you will not be able to deploy the SQL Backup Server Side Components directly from the GUI. Once you have installed the V6.5.1.9 GUI, locate the Server components installer file SQBServerSetup.exe copy it to the SQL Server 20102 machine , if not already on there and run the exe file.

Second, you will need to have a Windows account available for the SQL Backup Agent service to use prior to running SQBServersetup.exe. SQL Server 2012 will not allow the user account specified for the SQL Backup Agent service to be a local system or NT Authority\System account. Also the Windows account you specify must be a member of the sysadmin fixed server role.

SQL Backup V7 is currently in development. SQL Backup V7 is expected to be released mid to late April 2012. Sorry, I do not have any information as to an exact release date. You can download EAP versions of SQL Backup V7 from this forum post if you wish to try out SQL Backup V7 and see the new features prior to it's official release.

I hope the above answers your question.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Eddie,

We are running 6.5.2.9.

What fix were added to produce 6.5.2.18?

Thanks

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA
    Hi Chris

SQL Backup V6.5.1.9 will support SQL Server 2012 on its own.

The patch V6.5.2.18 fixes a problem when using the wildcard character in your backup script with SQL 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2012 database snapshots.

SQL Backup attempts to backup the snapshots and obviously fails. The V6.5.2.18 patch forces SQL Backup to ignore the snapshots when a backup job runs using the wildcard character.

I included it in my reply, in case that user made use of the database snapshot feature of SQL 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2012.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Thanks Eddie. I'll download the V6.5.2.18 very soon and start testing it against my current SQL (2000, 2005, 2008R2) in my DEV and my new SQL (2012) in sandbox.
    Hi

Thank you for your reply. Remember, you will need to download the official latest version V6.5.1.9 and install this first before applying the V6.5.2.18 patch.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Eddie.
    There are two files within SQB_6_5_2_18.zip
    I am unable to find doco on patch. Do I copy / replace files on my machine with these two?
    Hi

To apply patch, please follow the steps below:

1. Stop the SQL Backup Agent Service.
    2. In the Server Components Install folder, which by default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup 6\(local) or <SQL Instance Name>, locate the V6.5.1.9 versions of SQBCoreService.exe and SQLBackupC.exe.
    3. Rename the V6.5.1.9 versions of SQBCoreService.exe and SQLBackupC.exe (for example) to OLDSQBCoreService.exe and OLDSQLBackupC.exe .
    4. Copy in the V6.5.2.18 SQBCoreService.exe and SQLBackupC.exe files extracted from the patch zip file.
    5. Restart the SQL Backup Agent service.
    6. Perform your backup and restore tasks to ensure that all is OK.

I hope the above answers your quetion regarding the patch. The existing files are renamed in case you need to go back to the official version.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • thanks Eddie.